SBM is laying off 53 janitors working at Microsoft.
The SEIU6 janitorial contract has rules and protections for times like these. We must all work together to enforce the CBA and make sure everyone’s union rights are protected and respected. We are ensuring that the layoffs honor SENIORITY (Seniority means the order of longest length of service with the employer from date of hire) and that the impact of these layoffs DO NOT RESULT IN WORKLOAD EXPANSION.
Do you feel you have a workload expansion?
Expansion means to increase the extent, number, volume, or scope of your work.
Know Your Rights: Work Expansion
- The employer should provide clear work expectations and it is the responsibility of the employee to understand those work expectations.
- Employees are responsible for completing the work.
- The employees are responsible for communicating to the employer if they cannot finish their route.
- You have the right to file a grievance to protest the workload expansion.
What to do?
- The employee should notify the Foreman or Supervisor two hours before the end of their shift what is not completed.
- If the Foreman or Supervisor does not assist you to complete your route or give you direction on what to prioritize, make sure to document.
- Document or track your route by listing the areas your cleaning, the amount of time each area takes to clean and the time you have been given to complete each task.
- DO NOT SKIP YOUR LUNCHES OR BREAKS.
- DO NOT WORK OFF THE CLOCK.
- DO NOT REFUSE WORK.
- If you are written up, can’t complete your route, being harassed or you feel targeted, contact your union organizer Kamarida at 206-850-5021 or send us a message here.
If you have been impacted or have concerns about the layoffs, please contact your Union organizer Kamarida at 206-850-5021 or send us a message here.